In one look :
- Pokémon Legends: Arceus sold 645,000 units in its second month
- Elden Ring sold 279,000, led by the PS4 version at 188,000
- Total hardware and software sales down more than 35% from January
Elden Ring failed to dethrone Pokémon Legends: Arceus as the top-selling title in Japan, with the latter racking up a second month at No. 1.
In Famitsu’s monthly physical sales charts, the Pokémon game sold more than double the number of copies as From Software’s last at 645,000 units versus 279,000.
This brings Arceus’ total sales past the two million mark, having sold 1.5 million when it launched in late January.
The open-world Pokémon RPG accounted for more than a third of all Switch games sold during the month. It’s the fourth month in a row with a Pokémon game topping the charts, thanks to the release of Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl in November.
Without digital sales, it’s unclear if Elden Ring fared better overall against the long-running franchise.
When it comes to Elden Ring sales specifically, the PS4 version was the most popular, selling more than double the number of units than PS5 units at 188,000 versus 90,000.
The Xbox versions don’t appear in the Top 30 best-selling titles, but given Microsoft’s low install base for consoles in the region, that’s to be expected.
Thanks in large part to Pokémon, Nintendo Switch games accounted for 72% of all units sold, followed by PS4 at 19.1% and PS5 at 8.6%.
Total physical software sales in Japan fell 41% month-over-month, despite the wave of new releases. In addition to Elden Ring, the market saw the debut of Horizon: Forbidden West, Dying Light 2, and Atelier Sophie 2, all of which made the Top 20 best-selling games.
Switch was also the top-selling hardware of the month (again), accounting for 81% of all units sold. The best-selling OLED model with 43.1% of all units sold, followed by the standard edition (24.4%) and the Lite (13.5%).
The PS5 follows with 14% of all consoles sold, but the vast majority of these (12.8% of the market total) were the disc drive model, with the digital edition accounting for just 1.3% of all consoles sold in Japan last month.
Conversely, the digital-only Xbox Series S outsold the Series X, accounting for 2.8% of all consoles sold, compared to 1.7%.
Total hardware sales fell 36.5% from January.
Here are the top 10 best-selling physical games in Japan as of February 2022, courtesy of Famitsu:
- Pokemon Legends: Arceus (Switch | The Pokémon Company)
- [NEW] Ring of Elden (PS4 | From Software)
- [NEW] Touken Ranbu Warriors (Switch | DMM Games)
- [NEW] Ring of Elden (PS5 | From Software)
- [NEW] Horizon: West forbidden (PS4 | Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch | Nintendo)
- Mario Party Superstars (Switch | Nintendo)
- [NEW] Horizon: West forbidden (PS5 | Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch | Nintendo)
- [NEW] Dying Light 2: Stay Human (PS4 | Spike Chunsoft)