Deadline: November 15, 2022
Applications for the Canon Foundation and Kyoto University Japan-Africa Exchange Program 2023/2024 are now open. Based on the Memorandum of Understanding between the Canon Foundation in Europe (CFE) and Kyoto University (KU), the Japan-Africa Exchange Program between the Canon Foundation and Kyoto University started in 2018 .
The program offers fellowships to highly qualified scholars in research areas related to African Studies. The program is intended to support KU scholars who wish to do research in Africa and scholars from Kyoto University’s partner institutes in Africa who wish to do research in Kyoto. The scholarships are for a minimum period of three months up to a maximum of one year between April 1, 2023 and March 31, 2024.
- Financial support for successful applicants ranges from €22,500 to €27,500 per year and is pro-rated for different periods. CFE will directly administer the payments and notify the detailed payment procedure to each successful applicant.
- Candidates must hold at least a master’s degree;
- Be employed at KU or KU partner institutions as postdoctoral fellows or faculty members at the time of application;
- Also, as long as African applicants can submit one of the two reference letters received from their potential Kyoto University host and prove their existing partnerships, they are eligible to apply for the program.
To apply, submit the following documents to the Africa Unit of Kyoto University via [email protected]:
- Your research plan including a clear title at the top of the page as well as the start/end dates of the proposed research. The research plan should include a general estimate of costs, including living expenses, travel, research, insurance, etc. (maximum 2 pages)
- 2 reference letters (maximum 1 page each) from 2 people. One letter should be from someone who can comment on your academic qualifications and professional work, while the other should be a confirmation letter from your potential host who can provide you with research or work facilities for the proposed period .
- Your resume
- 1 copy of your doctoral certificate or highest university degree
- 1 passport size photo of yourself
- 1 list of your academic publications or professional achievements in chronological order containing information on all authors, place and year of publication and page references.
For more information, visit Japan-Africa Exchange Program.